Monday, January 08, 2007

BIO101 Extra Credit Gatacca Review

Gattaca Movie Review


This wasn’t the first time I have seen the movie but the last time I’ve seen it was a while ago. I managed to find things I have not picked up the first time I watched it so YES, I did learn a few things. I felt like after our biology lectures, I understood the film more clearly. There was one thing that isn’t relevant now but it was before. In the beginning of the film, Vincent-Anton mentioned that the apple was the ninth planet Pluto. This is no longer true, scientists have ruled out Pluto as a true planet this year. Enough about I understood the film and how relevant to me it was, let me give the synopsis of the movie.

This film takes place some time in the near future, where we have genetic doctors who artificially conceive a baby with absolutely the best genes of both parents. Vincent-Anton was conceived naturally the traditional way by sex. However, he was born with a high probability of problems, heart diseases, mental retardness, etc. Society at that time ran a space program that sent “elites” to space and to distant planets. Elites were those with the best combination of genes. Elites were those who were almost physically perfect. Although Vincent-Anton was no where near elite, he had a dream and a vision, to one day be abroad a ship and travel to space. To accomplish his dream, he would have to train physically and push himself to become as strong as an “elite”. In the movie, the future is portrayed as this place where everyone only cares about your genetic make up and that a sample of blood was good enough for a resume. Your genetics had to be good enough to join the force of elites. Of course, Vincent-Anton’s genes were not close to perfect so he makes a deal with Jerome. Jerome has the best of the best genes but he was involved in an accident and decides to help Vincent accomplish his goal of going up to space. Everyday, Jerome prepares blood samples and urine samples and for Vincent to use so he can enter Gattaca as an elite using Jerome’s blood for validation.

No comments: